Raised $44,366 on
One of the rarest alloys of titanium.
The Solid Damascus Titanium Sphere by Trance Metals is an artistic blend of strength and beauty. Crafted from Damascus Titanium, renowned for its mesmerizing patterns, this sphere serves as a unique display piece, paperweight, or collector's item. Its intricate design promises to add a touch of modern aesthetic and conversation-starting appeal to any space.
Titanium Layered Metalworking
Damascus Titanium is not just a metal, it's a work of art, a rare and highly sought-after composite metal that is created by layering different titanium alloys, and then heating and cooling them at specific temperatures to achieve mesmerizing patterns and colors. This process, known as "titanium layered metalworking" is not for the faint-hearted. It requires a level of precision, skill, and experience that is found only in a select few metalworkers.
This process cannot be accomplished with any oxygen present! It simply will not work if any air enters the system. That means the use of noble gases or other methods to isolate the titanium layers. It's a very dangerous process that only a few metalworkers in the world have experience with.
The sphere is then polished by hand to a high finish in order to showcase the mesmerizing beauty of Damascus Titanium when firing.
Patience is the order of the day. The firing process requires extreme precision and skill, as the timing and temperature must be controlled precisely to achieve the desired pattern. This process requires hours of concentration for a single sphere as the temperature change needs to be gradual and precise.
What makes Titanium Special?
- The most biocompatible and safe metal for the human body
- The only element that your body fully accepts - even bone will grow around it
- Named after Titans of Greek mythology because of its immense strength
- The highest strength-to-density ratio of any metallic element
- Shockingly rigid and lightweight, less than half the density of steel
- Excellent resistance to corrosion, nearly equivalent to platinum
- Non-magnetic - won't attract metallic filings from other tools
- Titanium Alloy layers ranging from 95.3% and 99.9% pure titanium
- Diameter: 10mm
- Weight: 3g